"Mix it Up" is a campaign and marketing initiative targeted at helping Canadians of all ages eat more fruits and vegetables. It focuses on simple and piratical ways to add variety to your fruit and vegetable diet. The CMPA (Canadian Produce Marketing Association), the Heart and Stroke Doundation, and the Canadian Cancer Society are just some of the great associations that are supporting this cause!
Mix it up for your health
Below are some of the reasons as to why fruits and vegetables are so healthy for us all:
- They may help to reduce the risk of some types of cancer
- They help keep bones strong
- They help keep digestive systems regular
- They are low in calories and fat, and rich in the good stuff like fibre, and full of crucial nutrients such as Vitamin C and A, potassium, and magnesium
- They can help protect against many diseases such as stroke and heart disease (through the presence of compounds called phytochemicals)
How to mix it up:
There are many ways to include a many fruits and vegetables in your diet, to increase consumption and create variety:
- fruit smoothies make a great breakfast and can be made with a large variety of fruits and veggies
- keep salad ingredients on hand: sliced carrots, mushrooms, red peppers, bagged greens, and sliced strawberries are all great choices!
- buy fresh produce, like bananas or nectarines, in varying degrees of ripeness - this allows for some ripening towards the end of the week.
These are just some of the great ideas available in order to mix it up. For more information, visit the "Mix it Up" website at www.5to10aday.com.
Remember, eat it up, mix it up and enjoy all your fruits and veggies!!!
"Mix it Up" website. http://www.5to10aday.com/en. Accessed on Aug 5th, 2010.